Recipe: Homemade Fig Jam
- 1 kg fresh figs, washed and stems removed
- 500g granulated sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- Chop the figs into small pieces and place them in a large saucepan. Add the sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Stir well to combine.
- Let the mixture sit for about 1 hour, allowing the figs to release their juices.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and bring the mixture to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 45-50 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the jam thickens and reaches a spreadable consistency.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and stir in the vanilla extract, if desired.
- Let the jam cool for a few minutes, then transfer it to clean, sterilized jars. Seal tightly and allow the jam to cool completely before refrigerating.
- Enjoy the homemade fig jam on toast, pastries, or use it as a delightful addition to your favorite recipes.