Recipe: Red Currant Jam
- 4 cups red currants, stemmed and washed
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Place the red currants in a large saucepan and crush them gently with a spoon or potato masher to release their juices.
- Add the granulated sugar and lemon juice to the saucepan and stir well to combine.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and let the mixture simmer for about 20-25 minutes, or until the jam thickens to your desired consistency. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- While the jam is still hot, carefully pour it into sterilized jars, leaving about 1/4-inch headspace at the top.
- Seal the jars tightly and let them cool completely at room temperature. As the jam cools, it will further thicken.
- Once cooled, store the jars of red currant jam in the refrigerator for up to several weeks.