Recipe: Bramley Apple Pie
- 2-3 Bramley apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 package of store-bought or homemade pie crusts
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- Granulated sugar (for sprinkling)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large bowl, toss the sliced Bramley apples with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- In a separate bowl, combine granulated sugar, all-purpose flour, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the sugar mixture to the bowl of sliced Bramley apples and toss until the apples are evenly coated.
- Roll out one of the pie crusts and place it into a 9-inch pie dish. Trim any excess dough hanging over the edges.
- Transfer the apple mixture into the pie dish, spreading it out evenly. Dot the top with small pieces of unsalted butter.
- Roll out the second pie crust and place it on top of the apple filling. Seal the edges by crimping or pressing with a fork. Cut a few slits on the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Brush the top crust with beaten egg wash and sprinkle with granulated sugar for a golden and slightly sweet crust.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet to catch any drips and bake in the preheated oven for about 45-50 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and let the Bramley apple pie cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.