Recipe: Spiced Poached Conference Pears
- 4 Conference pears, peeled and left whole
- 500ml water
- 200g granulated sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- Zest of 1 orange
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream (for serving)
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, sugar, cinnamon stick, cloves, orange zest, and lemon juice. Stir well and bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat.
- Add the whole Conference pears to the simmering liquid. Cover the saucepan and let the pears poach for about 20-25 minutes or until they are tender but still hold their shape.
- Once the pears are cooked, carefully remove them from the poaching liquid and set them aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, increase the heat and bring the poaching liquid to a rapid boil. Allow it to reduce until it thickens slightly, creating a syrup-like consistency.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and let the syrup cool.
- Serve the spiced poached Conference pears with a drizzle of the syrup and a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream for a delightful dessert.