Recipe: Caramelized Yellow Onion Tart
- 1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed
- 4 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- Fresh thyme leaves for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Roll out the puff pastry sheet and place it on a baking sheet.
- In a large skillet, heat the butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced yellow onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until they become soft and golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
- Sprinkle the sugar over the caramelized onions and season with salt and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Spread the caramelized onions evenly over the puff pastry, leaving a small border around the edges. Sprinkle the grated cheese over the onions.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool slightly. Garnish with fresh thyme leaves if desired. Cut into slices and serve warm as an appetizer or light meal.