Recipe: Roasted Onion Squash Soup
- 1 medium-sized onion squash, halved and seeds removed
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Place the halved onion squash on a baking sheet, cut side down. Roast in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes or until the flesh is tender.
- While the squash is roasting, heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the diced onion and minced garlic, and sauté until the onion is translucent and fragrant.
- Once the squash is cooked, scoop out the flesh and add it to the pot with the sautéed onions and garlic. Stir in the vegetable broth, ground cumin, ground cinnamon, salt, and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Use an immersion blender or transfer the soup to a blender to puree until smooth and creamy.
- Serve the roasted onion squash soup hot, garnished with fresh parsley for added freshness.