Recipe: Rainbow Chard and Chickpea Stir-Fry
- 1 bunch of rainbow chard, stems and leaves separated and chopped
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup
- Crushed red pepper flakes (optional, for heat)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sesame seeds (for garnish)
- Heat sesame oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat. Add the sliced onion and minced garlic, and sauté until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the rainbow chard stems and sliced red bell pepper to the skillet. Stir-fry for a few minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the rainbow chard leaves and chickpeas to the skillet. Continue stir-frying until the leaves wilt and the chickpeas are heated through.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey (or maple syrup), crushed red pepper flakes (if using), salt, and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the rainbow chard and chickpea mixture in the skillet. Stir well to coat the vegetables and chickpeas evenly.
- Cook for another minute or two until everything is heated through and well combined.
- Remove from heat and serve the rainbow chard and chickpea stir-fry hot, garnished with sesame seeds.